Getting the most accurate color in scans of old documents, photographs, etc.

Started Aug 10, 2022 | Questions thread
Sasquatchian Regular Member • Posts: 287
Re: Getting the most accurate color in scans of old documents, photographs, etc.

Overrank wrote:

Sasquatchian wrote:

GTaillefer wrote:

Overrank wrote:

GTaillefer wrote:

Overrank wrote:

GTaillefer wrote:

Overrank wrote:

What you want to do isn’t particularly unusual. There are guidelines e.g. FADGI, that will help you to do this and you can search and purchase FADGI compliant scanners e.g. https://www.shi.com/Product/44445856/Kodak-i5850-FADGI-compliant-Scanner-Bundle

At a sub-$1,000 level (rather than >$100,000) then for photographs (rather than negatives or slides) you need a flatbed scanner, a reflective colour target and software than can apply the calibration from scanning the target to each scan that you do. I do this all the time when I scan transparencies using an IT-8 target suitable for the slide I am scanning,

I think you're probably obsessing a bit too much about this. This whole conversation got way off track on details about requirements for scanning for government archiving, which no one here is going or needs to do.

I thought the $100,000+ price tag had made the point that it wasn’t for everyone …….. But it seems subtlety can get lost on the internet

Well, obviously, I understood that, and those $100K+ scanners listed aren't really applicable for photographers anyway, with only 8 bit per channel and 600 ppi output, but some of the other maybe less experienced users in this discussion might have missed those points. The bigger point that I made is that profiling your scanner is not a perfect art and that even using the best targets, and IT8's are far from ideal, the results will be close enough for most purposes and certainly close enough to easily fix in Ps after the fact, but to be aware that there are many variables in play in order to get this stuff right.

My scanner was only about $40K when it was new and about $15K used when I bought it in 2001 and even that's not perfect, but it's sure good enough for everything I've tossed at it.

Sasquatchian's gear list:Sasquatchian's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow