Dak on cam wrote:

PGH423 wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

PGH423 wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Fujix100vuseruk wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Now you are delving into the used market. That lens is no longer made because it's been replaced by the 150-600. It's hard to get and still demands a premium price. It is not as sharp and you still sacrifice the 24-50mm range. It's also big, heavy, and costs as much used as the 150-600 putting the final cost beyond the $2000 threshold when you add a lens covering the 24-50mm range.

The 50-500 has been replaced with the 60-600 DG https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens-item/60-600mm-f4-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm/

I didn't know about that lens. I looked it up and it costs $2000 by itself and it still doesn't cover, in this case, from 24-60mm. So, we are back to square one. No ICL solution to compare with the RX10iv.

How about this?

Panasonic Lumix GX85 Mirrorless Camera with 12-32mm and 45-150mm Lenses and Accessories Kit $797

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II Lens $549

or

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm f/4-5.6 II POWER O.I.S. Lens $647

Both combinations are well under $2000 and get you 24 to 600 equivalence.

The GX85 is lower resolution (16MP), but has a larger sensor than the RX10. The Lumix 12mm @ F3.5 is a bit slower than the RX10 at the wide end (6.5 vs 7 equivalent aperture), but this kit is a good two stops faster at the 600mm equivalent end.

Doesn’t “faster” just have to do with the necessary shutter speed for a proper exposure? (Nothing to do with aperture equivalent.) So F4 would be faster than 5.6, right?

I would absolutely apply equivalence compensation when comparing lenses on different systems. It's well proven that, for comparable generations of sensors, noise and DR scale quite reliably relative to sensor size. Total light captured, not spot brightness, is what counts.

However, I did it wrong when looking at the RX10IV. As you pointed out, it's F4 at the long end, so, F10.8 FF equivalent, compared to F11 for the Panasonic lens. Again, pretty close, and slightly in favor of the RX10.

I believe the idea then is that a larger sensor may (or may not) compensate for the slower lens, but 5.6 is still always slower than 4.0.

"Slower" as in "delivers less light per sensor area". But the sensor area is larger.

At the same ISO, you can use twice as fast a shutter speed at F 4.0 as at 5.6.

ISO specifies sensitivity per sensor area. If your pixels occupy a larger area (like they do if you have a larger sensor with the same number of pixels), the same ISO value corresponds to a larger number of photons and consequently less noise. A full-frame sensor these days delivers useful images at ISO12800. That's not what you want to try with an RX10M4 or smaller sensor.

If the newer, larger sensor is sufficiently superior, it may be worthwhile accepting the slower lens.

The most important point to me is that F 4.0 is remarkably fast at 600 mm and a great deal when you consider that the entire gear is less than 2 pounds and $2000.

So you’re saying a much slower lens on a modern full frame camera may still produce a less noisy image than the RX10 IV? If so, I think that is consistent with what I said.

PGH423's gear list:PGH423's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow