Regarding Canon RF dispute with Viltrox. Intellectual property violation, Canon says.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Wing2 Regular Member • Posts: 495
Re: Regarding Canon RF dispute with Viltrox. Intellectual property violation, Canon says.

antonio-salieri wrote:

I agree. And it sort of makes me wonder why the question isn't put to Sigma or Tamron or Rokinon etc of why they aren't reverse engineering the AF tech? They might be doing that, and we wouldn't know. And if anything they would be glad Canon went after a patent violator like Viltrox, since they don't want to compete with bargain basement illegal clones either. Or especially, since they have more to lose.

I would strongly suspect Sigma is working on that. (In fact, the CEO said that engineers are "examining" RF a while back, which is about as much as he'd say without any product announcement.) But any reverse-engineered stuff from them on RF I would not expect to see right away. In 2024 or so seems more likely.

Simple reverse engineering is only good for avoiding copyrights infringement.

If the method or hardware used was similar to what was described in Canon's patents (and Canon owns tons of patents) Sigma or Tamron may still be infringing Canon's patents.

To make this work, Sigma or Tamron engineers need to invent new hardware and or method that is different from Canon's patent but function in the same way. They also need to work closely with their patent attorneys to make sure none of the patents Canon own was infringed in their design.

They is a tedious and difficult job and it should not be called reverse engineering - it is their own invention. And if successful Tamron/Sigma's patent attorneys would file their own patents so that only nobody else can make such RF compatible lens

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow