ON1 Photo RAW any good?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
cyanhue Regular Member • Posts: 236
Re: ON1 Photo RAW any good?

I've been using On1 Photo raw as my main raw editor for a few years and I really like it.
things which are really nice:
1. if you don't need heavy editing and mostly do raw processing it can be a one-stop shop for all your needs, no need to step into an external editor. has support of lots of different things (sort of a jack of all trades).

2. the AI denoise added in the previous version can bring some previously unusable old photos back to very usable shape (but watch out for artifacts if you raise the details slider to far) . reviews seem to rank this as somewhat comparable to the topaz denoise tool which is awesome as it is built in. note this can be a bit time consuming, but often very worth it.

3. pretty good support of Pentax raw files and some built in Pentax lens corrections.

some possible down-sides from previous versions (may or may not apply to the new version)
1. the raw file demosaicing is not considered among the very best ( e.g. capture one and possibly others seem to do this better) this may only be apparent if pixel peeping very small details. personally this is fine for my needs.
2. the application is not the fastest (at least on my ancient PC)
the features being promoted for the next version look great as well, the sharpening tool and masking improvements would be really useful.
note regarding pricing: there are often 20-30% discounts available so check before buying
random sample image (just what I had on hand)

cyanhue's gear list:cyanhue's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow