24-105 f/4 vs 24-70 f/2.8

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
MannyV
MannyV Senior Member • Posts: 1,051
Re: 24-105 f/4 vs 24-70 f/2.8

Jonathan0007 wrote:

Need some help from those of you who have or have used both. How much of a difference is there between the two lenses in terms of IQ? Is there an appreciable difference, or is the difference merely the one-stop faster aperture? I like the convenience of a zoom for those instances when things can be unpredictable, but the RF 24-105 I currently have just doesn't seem to cut it for me on the R5. The images lack 'bite.' I am wondering if a move towards the RF 24-70 would give me noticeably better images. The 28-70 f/2.0 is out of the question because it is way too heavy for me (I've held it before and know for a fact it is out of my league). Any thoughts are appreciated!

I don't have the RF 24-105. I see people posting good images with that lens.

I opted for 24-70 2.8. I had a dilemma between that and the RF 28-70. The 28-70 I got to try it out for a couple of hours during Canon road show. Wow what a lens.

The 24-70 satisfies all my requirements including starting at 24mm, corner sharpness, contrast, rendering and bokeh. It serves as my general purpose lens that can deliver images. Also use it for all kind of portraits besides landscape. It delivers.

My recommendation - if you can live with 28mm - then that 28-70 f2 lens is superb. Also keep in mind the chunk and weight. In real life handling for a couple of hours, I did not find it an issue. Handles well with R6. However that is an individual thingy.

If not 24-70 2.8 is superb as well and excellent as a general purpose as well as professional purpose lens. I love mine.

-- hide signature --

Manny
Still draft and working towards it - https://www.digitalphoto.work

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow