My New Approach To RAW Processing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,436
Question for Kokopelli -- upgrading 8 yo computer === Fixed with HW upgrade

Kokopelli_Rocks wrote:

After I bought my R5 last year I continued to use LR (LR user since version 1). I was not happy with the results I was getting with LR and decided to try different RAW tools. After several months of testing I settled on DXO PL4. I agree with you the product is resource intensive. I was using a 6+ year old XPS with a I-7 6700 with 16GB. I doubled my memory to 32 and the software ran better, but the processing of image was slooooow. The results were good so I continued to use DXO and upgraded to version 5.

Last wee I was in Costco and saw a sale on a Dell XPS 8950, I-7 12700, 32 GB, and GeForce 3060 with 8GB, Killer™ WiFi 6 (2x2/160) Gig+ and Bluetooth® 5.2. Best of all the machine was $400 off. I am very impressed with the new Alder Lake CPUs the first Intel CPUs using 10nm process.

So how does the system perform with DXO - all I can say is amazing. Takes a few seconds to process an R5 RAW image (not cRAW). So fast, that I don't even have time to start on my next image before the first is complete. The new system is great with DXO PL5, Topaz and Luminar Neo.

I know my solution is not possible for everyone, but I am thrilled with the new system. The upgrade cost less than an R7.

Glad to hear this result since I am in the process of a similar computer upgrade.
Ryzen 9, 32GB, 1TB SSD, RTX3080, 2TB HDD. Have not had a chance to try it out yet.
Now my computer costs more than my camera system

Question: Is there any setup ritual required to get PL5 using the graphics card?

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow