Any plans to mark2 for the 24-105 G F4?

Started Aug 31, 2022 | Discussions thread
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 5,544
Re: Any plans to mark2 for the 24-105 G F4?

Sony have updated just two lenses to Mark II. Both of them were in the very first batch of GM lenses released, and arguably did not match up to the stated goals of the GM vision.

Sony have not expressed any intention of updating other lenses. There has been some speculation that they might update the last of those first three GM lenses (the 85mm f/1.4, although we would love the update to be f/1.2…)

So the “trend”, if there is one, is to update GM lenses which did not quite meet the GM goal.

The 24-105 isn’t a GM lens. So it seems a stretch to expect an update. I would not hold my breath waiting for one.

BTW: you commented on the lens dating to 2015 - the Canon EF 135mm f/2L lens was a well regarded lens and dated to 1996 - I think it has been discontinued recently, but it’s design was over 20 years old and it was still for sale. The Canon EF 24-105mm announced in 2005 was replaced by a mark II in 2016, so it lasted 11 years. 2015 is not very long ago.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a1 Sony a7R V Sony a9 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow