What’s happening to the G5X II?

Started Aug 7, 2022 | Questions thread
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 6,818
Re: What’s happening to the G5X II?

AdamT wrote:

Are you 100% sure it is the "same" sensor as in the Mk5A?

It`s 1" , stacked and BSI so I doubt it`s anything else , not viable to tool up for a different sensor just for two canon cameras ..

Not just for Canon, but any 'other' camera mfg. that wants the "stacked and BSI" sensor.

Sony image sensor division is now a separate company; hence logical the new sensor company would want to cater to the needs of other camera mfgs sensor to increase sales.

Since Sony Semiconductor Solutions designed/ Mfg. the sensor they could design/ make a sensor to be able to not provide some of the higher end features without having to "retool".

I would assume it is a older "version" of 20MP 1"-type stacked BSI-CMOS sensor; e.g.
used in the RX100 V, RX10 III; rather than sensors being used the RX100 VA / VII, or RX10 IV.

Unless technical specs prove otherwise (not speculation) I highly doubt Sony Semiconductor Solutions would sell the "same" sensor made for Sony cameras to other camera mfgs' to keep their competitive edge/ advantage.

Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
(unknown member)
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow