MannyV
MannyV Senior Member • Posts: 1,051
Re: It's confirmed by Viltrox?

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Looks like Viltrox has confirmed that Canon has demanded that they, and other lens makers, cease selling RF mount lenses. This will play heavily on my decision in considering the X-T5 over the R7. This might not be a good long term strategy for Canon.

Out of interest, would it not just have been simpler to refer to this post, https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66429558 from two days ago?

Choosing on the basis of lenses between a current, but almost unobtainable camera that doesn't have an APS-C lens that I would buy, and a rumoured camera possibly coming in half a year's time sounds very like a game of top trumps to me.

I look at the long term. The X-T5 might take six months to arrive. I waited two years on the R7 so waiting another six months to see what the X-T5 brings to the table is easy to do. Especially with the shortcomings of the R7 being known at this point.

The main shortcomings of the R7 as far as I'm concerned are that it's an APS-C camera almost the size of my R, and it's so feature laden that it costs 3x what I would pay for an APS-C camera. The main shortcoming of the X-T5 is that it doesn't exist yet. Everything else we know about it is imaginary, even down to the sensor specification.

My main issues are bad rolling shutter, non BSI sensor and a somewhat shallow buffer for its frame rates. These days a $1,500 APS-C camera should not have these issues, IMO. The X-T5 very likely won't have these issues or not to the degree the R7 has them.

Now add in that Canon is becoming very aggressive in stopping all third party RF mount lenses and this will definitely play into my decisions moving forward. I will not be bound to only buying Canon RF lenses.

I'm not bound to RF. Most of my lenses are EF, though I do have a third party RF fisheye. And the odd Soviet, Nikkor, Pentax M and Zuiko lens.

For me, if I m buying an RF mount camera then I shouldn't have to rely on non native mount lenses. I think Canon is underestimating how much abuse their users will take from them. I have been a loyal Canon users since the 300D and there is a very good chance they will run me off with this maneuver.

It just is a non starter for me and very likely many others. Canon will very likely use this to push the price of RF lenses to ridiculous levels.

Like £319 for a 16mm or twice that for a 100-400mm? Or were you thinking more of examples like £300 extra for the RF 50mm f/1.2 compared with the Panasonic L mount 50mm f/1.4?

For me price isn't really the issue. My main beef is that Canon can take years to offer certain lenses. Having been part of the EF-M debacle I guess I am a little gun shy regarding their motives and RF-S APS-C lenses. The paltry number of EF-M lenses they gave us took six years to materialize and there have been no new lenses sense 2018. We now know why they slow walked new M gear but they don't seem to care who they screw over to maximize profits. They have every right to do this but people like me also have every right to stop taking their abuse.

We have seen their penchant for price gouging in the past. I won't be beholden to them.

If Fuji doesn't have an APS-C lens you would buy then you don't know what they offer.

I was talking about RF-S lenses and the complete lack of wide and ultra-wideangle lenses for the R7 and R10, apart from the EF-S 10-18mm.

I see. Sorry for the bad interpretation.

Looks like you know what you want. So stop cribbing and buy the gear you made up your mind on.

-- hide signature --

Manny
Still draft and working towards it - https://www.digitalphoto.work

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
KEG
MAC
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow