Are Z lenses APO lenses?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
LarsHP
LarsHP Contributing Member • Posts: 607
Re: Are Z lenses APO lenses?

labalaba wrote:

The Voigtlander 180mm f4 APO-Lanthar I own shows very little chromatic aberration and this is also mentioned in the Optical Limits review and elsewhere. The 125mm f2.5 Apo-Lanthar, which I have not used, is supposedly as good or better, as reported in numerous reviews. I once read a test comparison of this lens, the Leica 100mm Apo-Macro-Elmarit R lens, and the Cosina Zeiss 100mm f2 macro which confirmed that the two apo-macro lenses were significantly better color corrected than the zeiss. The Leica 280mm f4 Apo-telyt-R is a legendary lens. Each of these discontinued Apo lenses sells used for significant sums, which tells you what people think of them. I would trust an 'Apo' designation from Leica or Voigtlander to indicate that the lens is indeed very very well corrected for chromatic aberrations. I don't believe this is 'just marketing'. Sigma, I have no comment, I don't own any of their lenses.

PS. Most Leica M or R lenses are very very good, as you will know if you have used them. Only a very few of them are designated 'Apo'.

PPS. I use optical microscopes professionally, and when an objective from Zeiss, Leica, or Nikon (the brands I use) is marked 'Apo', that means something. Nikon do mark their microscope lenses 'Apo' when that is appropriate.

I own the 180mm Apo-Lanthar as well as the 90mm Apo-Summicron-M. The Voigtländer is free of LoCA, but has quite noticeable LaCA. The latter is not a problem in modern digital photography, but in the analog days it would have been an issue you couldn't do anything about (while LoCA can be dealt with by stopping down). The Leica lens, unfortunately, has very noticeable bokeh fringing (which strictly speaking isn't LoCA), but no LaCA.

I remember that in the eighties, it was said that an apochromatic lens was fully corrected for either LoCA or LaCA. The above lenses complies with that notion.

LarsHP's gear list:LarsHP's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow