Are Z lenses APO lenses?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Nebido
Nebido Regular Member • Posts: 321
Re: Are Z lenses APO lenses?

ipopov wrote:

APO (apochromatic) has never meant "no LOCA". The term was introduced by Zeiss to mean "chromatically corrected for three wavelengths". This does not mean "no LOCA". In fact, non-APO lean can very well be better in terms of CA that a true APO lens (by original Zeiss definition).

That sums it up, no more, no less, no need to complicate it.

There are some class leading lenses in terms of color corrections with the Apo-tag, but you will also find some "Apo-tagged" lenses not so well corrected and lenses like the Z MC 105 without the "Apo-tag" delivering topnotch performance in this regard.

But even with the best in class color corrected lenses, you will still find sometimes traces of green/magenta color error wide open under extreme conditions while pixel peeping.

Fast aperture prime lenses are typically much more prone to LoCA than slower lenses.

_

I wouldn't dismiss it as pure marketing either.

Like the user labalaba stated, I would trust an 'Apo' designation from Leica or Voigtlander to indicate that the lens is indeed very very well corrected for chromatic aberrations.

Lenses like the current Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar series, 35/2, 50/2, 65/2 Macro, 110/2.5 Macro are class leading in therms of the perfection level of color and nearly all other optical correction (with the exception of vignetting), so the Apo-tag is filled with substance verified in dozens of reviews.

I can't comment on Leica, completely different price league, beyond my radar, but i have no doubt the Apo' designation also has substance there.

Nebido's gear list:Nebido's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z MC 105mm F2.8 VR S Nikon 400mm F4.5 VR S +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow