Photography as a soul therapy

Started Aug 11, 2022 | Discussions thread
OP alpshiker Senior Member • Posts: 1,754
Re: Photography as a soul therapy

RaajS wrote:

Paul, thank you very much for sharing this and your images. I loved your Vimeo presentation. This hits a very personal note for me - my father is wasting away, in an advanced stage of Parkinson's. Over the last few years I've seen a man who I consider to be a transcendent genius be essentially reduced to a vegetable. I wish I had made more time to photograph him over the years. The few images that I have I value deeply.

Cheers,
-raaj

Raaj,

I'm sure these pictures will be invaluable in remembering the man your father truly is. We all age and sometimes with more difficulty. But deep inside, an unaffected spirit is growing stronger. Your father's condition speaks to me because my father was an entrepreneur and he too had Parkinson's disease. He couldn't walk much, couldn't eat normal food in his later years, but he fought depression with some attainable occupations and was good spirits. He still lived 93 years. Keeping in touch with the family was very important to him and he could also flip through a few photo albums from time to time and think "We made it".

Thank you also for your kind words about the presentation. My friend had a settled spirit despite the storm in her body and mental life slowly slipping away. She shied away from the camera in her late years, but we could use a smartphone to catch a few smiles and the sparkle in her eyes on a birthday or a visit from her kids. Prayer and photography really helped us all recover from the trauma.

alpshiker's gear list:alpshiker's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Sony a7R II Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow