Sony A7c street photography settings

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
SillyPosition Regular Member • Posts: 225
Re: Sony A7c street photography settings

Mike Fewster wrote:

Corot2 wrote:

Just received a few days ago my Sony a7c and am really enjoying it.

What a fun camera to use with stellar image quality

The last Sony I owned was way back the Sony DSC v3 and until now used Fuji x.

I shoot a lot street photography and have been experimenting with various settings

I also do some hip shooting and was interested if anyone could suggest what focus areas and metering modes you find most effective in your shooting

I appreciate your suggestions

Thanks

LC

I'm very interested in exactly the same question and would shortly have started a thread asking the same.

Here's what I have been playing with but it certainly isn't definitive so I will be looking at everyone else's suggestions as well.

This is what I used to begin my thinking. Mark Galer is great for Sony stuff but I think this one neds a rethink. It is too old and doesn't consider the af capabilities of the A7c.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVcoGkYkfAw

Some principles behind my thinking.

I'm happy to raise iso to get a shot rather than miss something because the shutter speed was too slow. If necessary I'll then work on noise in the Image with Topaz.

I have iso at 400. Probably need to set it so so raises rather than shutter speed falling below about 1/250

Aperture control with camera left on 5.6. Galer says F8 because this give close to unlimited dof and is largely focus free. I think the newer af doesn't need this and I'm still experimenting. I may go with two f stop/iso settings for street work. One lot for low light and one lot for daylight.

I keep the lower button on the main control dial on toggle for instant APS-C. I find that ability to get a bit closer fast very useful. for street work.

I have the histogram on in the viewfinder. Mainly, I want to see highlight loss and adjust fast if necessary. Histogram in camera settings are based on jpegs. I shoot Raw so the histogram isn't accurate. I set to max dro because this adjusts the histogram to the jpeg and gives a much more accurate idea of what is possible when avoiding burnt out highlights from the RAW files.

AF-C

Fully silent

Touch focus on the screen for use when the screen is being used for waist level viewing.

I'm still thinking about how I get fast access to eye focus

I'm using the 28-60 Sony F4 -5.6 Excellent IQ and af in an ultra small/light lens. I also have the Zony 35mm 2.8 which is even smaller and lighter. When traveling I take the 2.8 for use when I go out at night. I am yet to decide if I can keep just the 28-60.

I also have the Samyang 18mm 2.8. Also exceptionally small and light and easy to have in the bag as well. Much as I love my 24-105 and find the range ultra useful, I'm not using it on the A7c.

Is there a real reason to use ISO400 constantly, what if its middle of the day, sun is shining and you get to a very high shutter speed anyway? Why not using ISO min SS instead?

In my couple of preconfigured presets (1,2,3) I play with this to achieve my goals, like a preset with at least 1/160s shutter speed, for photography of toddlers, usually 1/160 is enough for me. If the scene requires more due to lowlight, it will bump the ISO. But only if, not regardless

SillyPosition's gear list:SillyPosition's gear list
Sony a7C Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 DG DN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow