Alpha 7 II: is it overkill as a video production camera

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EWarrenX New Member • Posts: 13
Alpha 7 II: is it overkill as a video production camera

Hello!

I am a small business owner who is planning to produce some videos to comment on our firm's services (and perhaps do semi-frequent Q&A with customers about the industry).

I have a $40 Logitech webcam, but I thought about spending more time and effort (use proper lighting, editing) and see if I can achieve higher production value.

After learning more about studio setup (where to place light, what kind of ambience I wish to achieve), I proceeded to learn about cameras.

One of the methods I learned was to lower ISO and increase aperture + use lighting to remove graininess from the picture, and that argues for a full-frame camera. I am also interested to prepare our spare office / studio with some basic clean up but use depth of field to make the background blurry, and here a full frame camera also seem to help.

Given a lot of what we are trying to do exceeds the little webcam's capabilities, and a friend has spare Sony E-mount lenses for us to borrow, that led me to Sony's Alpha 7 II as the most affordable option (out of the Sony line). So we are looking at the following requirements for our use case:

• Full frame camera to handle low ISO 
  • Does not need 4K - 1080P at 60 frames per second is enough
  • Does not need a microphone to record sound
  • Does not need large storage - the camera would be connected to PC
  • Uses Sony E-mount to take advantage of friend's selection of lenses

Is it appropriate for us to pick Alpha 7 II? Even though it appears to be the least expensive option on Sony's product list, it is still quite costly compared to some of the sub-$1,000 cameras. I am not sure if it is overkill.

Thank you!

EWarrenX's gear list:EWarrenX's gear list
Sony ZV-E10 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Sony a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow