Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,441
Re: Editing a RAW image

sybersitizen wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

FastStone shows the image at any percentage and 100% is usually used for detail comparison, also the Smooth option helps simulate what a printed result may look like.

In other words, more processing. And even 100% views involve a resampling based on your particular screen resolution.

100% screen grabs shouldn't involve resampling (except for something like the 'Smooth option', whatever that does). Regular 100% screen grabs should show each image pixel as a monitor pixel, so the differences among screen resolutions cause differences in crop area only. Although they should behave that way, I've found instances where they apparently don't, which is kind of mystifying.

It depends on what display scaling your monitor has. Many people use more than 100%, as fonts and icons are too small at 100%. For example, I use a higher scaling factor for my UHD 32" primary monitor.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-custom-display-scaling-setting-windows-10

It apparently depends on more than that because I never use anything other than 100% scaling, and I have observed differences between screen grabs and actual pixel data.

For instance, there are other possible adjustments that work at the level of monitor subpixels. They can subtly influence the sharpness of fonts, among other things.

The Windows ClearType setting is an example, and that might be a factor in my case:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/cleartype/

Yes, I think some differences are to do with adjustments for the monitor itself. But the bottom line is that screen grabs are not a reliable way of doing detailed image comparisons.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow