Post your 2022 Perseids meteors here...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
t_wade Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
Re: Post your 2022 Perseids meteors here...

OutsideTheMatrix,

Thanks, so regardless of shutter speed, the time delay between frames is the main factor here. I can use a timelapse mode where I can get the delay down to 1 second. I hope that isn't too much? I'm not sure I can do a zero second delay.

There are two factors at work here.  The blind time caused by the camera's delay between successive exposures and the shutter speed.  As the blind time increases, you have to compensate by increasing your shutter speed.  For a 1 second blind time, which seems to be the most common value, you should keep your shutter speed to 10 seconds or more.  Of course, the shutter speed has its own impacts.  For example, you may be limited due to trailing or light from the Moon.  This is why it's better to reduce the ISO rather than the shutter speed under brightened skies due to either light pollution or moonlight when photographing meteor showers.  The blind time really doesn't impact any other astronomical phenomena.  Overall, I would try to keep my blind times to 10 percent or less if possible.  The formula is pretty simple:

shutter open (%)= (shutter speed / (shutter speed + blind time)) * 100

blind time (%) = 100 - shutter open

For example,

shutter open = (10/(10+1) * 100 = 90.9 %

blind time = 100 - 90.9 = 9.1 %

Wade

P.S. Canon's EOS R is one of the worst cameras on the market for meteor photography since its blind time is 2 seconds.  I've heard the Canon R6 has this fatal flaw too.  I would avoid both of these cameras if you plan to really get active in meteor photography.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow