Used eBay lens or new?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
patticake Senior Member • Posts: 1,308
Re: Used eBay lens or new?

The Lamentable Lens wrote:

patticake wrote:

The Lamentable Lens wrote:

patticake wrote:

i'm in the u.s., and the only 4-year warranties i've seen are third-party warranties you buy in addition to the camera. every camera or lens i've bought new had/has a 1 year limited manufacturer warranty, although perhaps pro items have longer warranties. my gear ranges from entry level to intermediate.

This depends on the manufacturer. I believe Sigma lenses from authorized retailers in the U.S. come with a 4-year manufacturer's warranty, while Tamron lenses carry a 6-year warranty. That said, a lot of the OEM camera brands (Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc.) offer only 1-year warranties.

i checked on B&H - the first sigma lens i checked was the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E, and it comes with a 1-year limited warranty. same with the slightly more expensive Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E and the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Sony E.

but you're right about tamrons - even the least expensive one i checked has a 6-year limited warranty. i didn't know about that - thanks for the heads-up!

I believe it's actually a 4-year warranty in total for both those lenses. On the B&H page, right below the 1-year warranty reference, you'll see a reference to a 3-year warranty extension. I'm not sure why B&H lists it as two separate warranties, but fwiw, the Sigma warranty page says that all brand new Sigma products have a 4-year warranty.

Anyone buying one of these lenses should obviously confirm to be sure, but it's always been my understanding that one of the benefits to Sigma and Tamron was the longer warranty.

good catch!

what a weird way to list a 4-year warranty.   adorama lists the sigma warranty like this:

• Sigma 1 Year North and South America Limited Warranty (3 Year USA Extended Warranty for a Total of 4 Years from Date of Purchase)

maybe a sigma requirement?

-- hide signature --
 patticake's gear list:patticake's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony a6100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow