JPG or RAW on Fujifilm GFX100s

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TomB23 Forum Member • Posts: 57
JPG or RAW on Fujifilm GFX100s

After using the X-system with satisfaction I finally made the decision to step into the gfx-system. I went for the GFX100s to get the most out of the lenses and for the aliasing which is less than with the GFX50sII. I took this camera with me on summer holiday and shot JPG and RAW images spread over both card slots. I mainly did landscapes where the camera excels and some astro too.

After returning home, in LR I was struck how good the JPG's are! The files are roughly 25MB but 8 bit, so you would expect not being able to lift shadows or save highlights to the extent which is needed. But apparantly, the GFX engine already saves the data of the sensor in such way that the histogram is nicely distributed. Furthermore if you set the white balance right, colours are also great (understatement) and consistent. Only the most challenging scenes at dusk or the astro require RAW-files.

So I was considering to mainly use the jpg-files instead of using al the RAW-files, even with a pretty fast computer the files are quite hefty. The only thing I do not like about the JPG's is the amount of sharpening. I shot with default value for sharpening, but even with -3 I still see pretty hard edges. The RAW-files are better in that sense, with less hard edges.

I am curious if anyone else also has had these thoughts.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow