Question (Again) about traveling with film (airports)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,727
Question (Again) about traveling with film (airports)

Sorry if I asked this previously but it was a while ago.

I can't remember... if I'm traveling with film that's still sealed in the package (this is 35mm film, I believe it's Kodak Ektra 100, still sealed in the box and plastic canister) do I just need a film bag (like the Domke film bag which I believe is lined with lead) to protect it during TSA checks? I believe in the past I gave the bag to the attendant and explained it was film and that it cannot go through scanners.

Is this i all I need to do or is there something else I should use? Got an upcoming trip in which I'll be flying again and want to make the flim doesn't get destroyed during transport ( I bought the film with me on my last trip but never used it, so I don't know if it's still good or not -- am going to shoot a test roll before I leave for the upcoming trip).

(As a side note, I will be using my Nikon ML camera too along side my 35mm SLR camera, so if the film is destroyed during transport, it's not the end of the world -- although it would be frustrating/sad. It's more or less something I want to do for the experience of shooting film, but will not be my primary means of photographing on my trip.)

This is the bag I have:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/218287-REG/Domke_711_11B_Film_Guard_Bag_Mini.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A6879&gclid=CjwKCAjw6fyXBhBgEiwAhhiZshaXRfFS3Rf5cMoID6EoBxkhbP9dHP6PAGfY9rjSNT-BsrL3BqKvSBoCExwQAvD_BwE

My plan is to travel with the film NOT in the camera (so when shooting, I will use up the entire roll before flying back, so that there isn't film in the camera that can be accidentally exposed if someone opens the camera or whatever.)

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow