Bringing an old Yashica 230- AF out of the cupboard

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fireplace33
fireplace33 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,656
Bringing an old Yashica 230- AF out of the cupboard

I tried out my old Yashica 230-AF film camera 2 weeks ago

I took the camera, with a new battery , two lenses and one B&W Ilford HP5 400 film on a hike in the Austrian mountains. It was quite nostalgic and somehow pleasant to use film again. With only 36 shots I was thinking , Do I really want this one with only 5 shots left,…

My brother developed the film for me in his darkroom.
Sad news is that only 3 from my 36 shots came out, the rest were all very very under exposed
The other B&W films that my brother developed from his cameras on the same day all turned out fine.
The 3 shots from the Yashica that did work, looked fine and had that nice characteristic B&W film feel to them.

As for the other 33, the problem could have many causes:
-The film I used had an old use-by-date of 2020,
-maybe the camera’s light meter is not working,
-maybe the shutter wasn’t working as the settings suggested,
-maybe I had accidently switched on the flash without noticing it,
-maybe it was developed incorrectly,...
I definitely did have the ISO set to 400.

I thought I might start the diagnosis with a very rough test of the light meter by comparing the settings on the Yashica to my digital Nikon Z7, both are "35mm FF"

With the same scene I Set both to “AV mode”, set the lenses to the same Focal length (70mm) , same F number (F8) used the same ISO (400) and set EX-compensation both to zero and looked at the resulting shutter speed setting

The result showed 1/8s for Yashica and 1/10 for Nikon.

That result from my primitive experiment was “about the same” for me, and says that the light meter must be working sort of OK in the Yashica,
... do you agree?

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II +26 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow