Long term lens storage query.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Floyd Senior Member • Posts: 1,092
Long term lens storage query.

Hi all,

I have some lenses that I want to keep, but I know that I won't be using for the foreseeable future, possibly not for years.  I'm concerned about potential fungus issues in storage.  They are mostly Pentax lenses from the 70's and 80's. None of them have any fungus that I'm aware of at this stage.

I know that a dry cabinet is probably best practice.  I can't do that at my place - not enough space, not enough power (small off grid solar).

At the moment they are in a lens suitcase (zip closure, sturdy fabric and padded in segments but not 'sealed' as such), in the case are several large-ish sachets of rechargeable silica gel. The case is in amongst other stuff in a shipping container, temperature in the container goes up and down by day and by the seasons although it seems there's enough other stuff packed around the lens case that the lenses in the case don't fluctuate much day by day.

I'm in Tasmania, by the coast.  We have a cool temperate climate.

How does this approach sound?  Does anyone have a history of long term lens storage and have/have not had any fungus issues? How were they stored.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers,  MIchael

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow