Diagonal tilt - Ts-e lenses. Issue with panorama shift?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martin Erik Andersen
Martin Erik Andersen Junior Member • Posts: 43
Diagonal tilt - Ts-e lenses. Issue with panorama shift?

The PocketPANO frame has two tripod feet offset by 90°. Their function described at the homepage as this:

“...In combination with the two rotation elements of the TS-E lenses, all imaginable combinations of portrait and landscape format, horizontal and vertical shifting as well as tilting can be realized.”

https://www.pocketpano.de/english/rear-tilt-n-shift-frame/

Not quite sure but I think this solves a limitation of the Canon Ts-e lenses regarding diagonal tilt in combination with shift for panoramas/vertoramas.

I haven’t seen the issue fully described anywhere online. And it is a bit complicated to describe, but I give it a quick try: If you take 3 shifted shots for a panorama one only has the option of the diagonal tilted focus plane going left down or right up. If one wants the planes to go left up or right down, one has to rotate 90° at shifting rotation axis – and this rotation gives you a vertical vertorama instead of a panorama format in the 3 shots for stitching.

I suppose the way around it without the PocketPano frame is to make the 90° rotation at the tripod head, overhanging the camera to the left or right to the side of the tripods centre axis (and adding some instability to the tripod setup).

I might be wrong, diagonal tilt is rather difficult to get ones head around 😊

Here a link to one of Keith Coopers excellent videos on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwM8P6SNKw&ab_channel=KeithCooper

Other links visualizing the aspects of diagonal tilt on the Ts-e lenses much appreciated.

Martin Erik Andersen's gear list:Martin Erik Andersen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow