Avedon - In The American West

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ronnie99 Regular Member • Posts: 220
Avedon - In The American West

Over the next few months I'd like to take a stab at recreating some portraits by the masters. Avedon was a master and I'm sure this is not easy to do.

I've been rereading Avedon At Work by Laura Wilson and I'd like to recreate in my living room if possible this open shade look. I'd like to ask you all how I could create something similar to take a yearly portrait of my son and also a self portrait.

Studying this image, it looks like the lighting is in shade, often times he used the shaded side of a barn. I really love the catch lights in these images and it tends to be the reflection of open sky with a reflector below.

I do not have a large format camera but a Canon 6d mark ii, with focal lengths of 100mm, 85mm and 50mm. I know Avedon used a Deardorff.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'd like to shoot these images inside but maybe it makes more sense to go outside.

I'd like to use TRI X film simulations to the to achieve a similar look.

Thank you

Ronnie99's gear list:Ronnie99's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 6D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow