Exposure Times with the Canon R5

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
theninth
theninth Regular Member • Posts: 266
Exposure Times with the Canon R5

Good evening,

I was wondering how a high resolution sensor as the one from the R5 increases demands on hand-held exposure times, if one would want to make full use of the sensors potential.

So I run some tests with the EF 35/1.4 and the RF 85/1.2 and documented the results in a blog post:

https://www.the-ninth.com/blog/exposure-times-canon-r5

My findings in short:

• Without IBIS, add about two stops to the old rule of 1/focal length to get sharpest results.
  • With IBIS, stick to the rule of 1/focal length for sharpest results. In my tests the IBIS delivers only two to three stops of stabilization. I was not able to get usable results going down four or the advertised five stops.
  • The rule 1/focal length without IBIS, or two to three stops down with IBIS, of course still delivers results usable for most applications where the high resolution is not needed.

I‘d be very interested to hear about your views. Are my findings in line with your experiences?

-- hide signature --
 theninth's gear list:theninth's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +2 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow