Thread protection for Z 40/2's plastic filter threads

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rscott900ss
rscott900ss Regular Member • Posts: 248
Thread protection for Z 40/2's plastic filter threads

I have, and enjoy, the Nikkor Z 40/2 lens. I use a metal hood on it and don't generally remove it.

I was concerned about the lens' plastic filter threads. Since my lens came bundled with a free UV filter (a questionable $6.95 Chiaro brand), I figured I might just remove the glass from it and use it as a thread-protector of sorts.

Then, I realized that since I leave the metal lens hood on all the time, the lens cap was gripping its threads, not the plastic threads of the lens. My worry about the lens' filter threads needing protection was probably pure paranoia.

I'd be better off holding on to the filter for possible use to protect the lens if I ever used it in adverse conditions. So, for the heck of it, I did a quick with/without cheap filter IQ comparison. The filter packaging said it passes 95% of light.

I took identical shots of the treetops and sky about 60˚from the sun position and similar shots straight at the sun (which was obscured by cloud cover). Each series was shot at whole f/stops from f/2 to f/8.

I could see no difference of any kind in the photos as far as sharpness, contrast, exposure, and the automatically-selected color temperature. I pixel-peeped at as high as 400%. Maybe the results wouldn't be so good in full sun, but it made me glad I can use the cheap filter without too much concern for image quality.

rscott900ss's gear list:rscott900ss's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow