Wide angle RX10M4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cheddarman Senior Member • Posts: 1,525
Wide angle RX10M4

This past week I had several goes at capturing a Perseids without any success. I figured one of the restraining factors was the quite large, minimum Focal Length - 24mm (8.8mm) so I did a bit of research and figured there must be something out there that could bring the FL down a bit. Searching the internet I found several 0.43X WA lense adapters but they were £50+ which was far more than I was prepared to spend on an experiment. Then I found a Vivitar 0.43X wide angle/macro adapter with a 72mm thread in the on-line Oxfam shop for just £8!

When it arrived yes, it did have a 72mm thread but that was on the macro adapter that screwed onto the back of the wide angle lens, which had a 62mm thread.

Another quick search produced a 72mm - 62mm reducer ring and with this mounted it fitted perfectly onto the front of the RX10.

I turned the camera on before attaching the WA lens so that the motor would not have the extra load, turned it on and went outside to see what I had.

In manual focus, AF didn't like the attachment. at 24mm, I took a shot and was quite impressed, I had a huge field of view, theoretically 10.32mm, but with a tunnel.

I then removed the WA lens and took a second shot at 24mm for comparison.

So it works! As I'm only going to use this for Milky Way and night sky photography I don't really mind the circular image, but if I want a 2X3 and crop it, I still have a very much wider field of view that without the adapter.

Well pleased!

Michael
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow