Aperture changes even in M mode with flash?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brett8883 Contributing Member • Posts: 800
Aperture changes even in M mode with flash?

Both my A1 and A7RIV do this weird thing where even when in Manual exposure mode the camera will sometimes automatically change aperture when using a Godox off camera flash with the xpro trigger when flash mode is set to manual flash power. I don’t know if it has to do with the flashes or the cameras because I only have Godox flashes and I almost always use them off camera. Both cameras do this sometimes so doesn’t seem like there’s something broken on them.

For example just the other day I was shooting indoors and I set the exposure to f/8 1/100 iso 100 and my Godox AD600Pro to 1/1 power. It was a large room with lots of windows I was trying to over power so in camera metering was metering below -2 EV for ambient light and flashing the Ev number. When I fired the shutter the photo looked surprisingly underexposed so I checked the exposure settings and the camera had changed the aperture to f/14! I set the settings back to where I wanted them and tried again but the camera did the same thing, switched aperture to f/14. I have had other situations where the camera will switch to a wider aperture too.

This seems to happen when I am trying to use a very low ambient exposure but I can’t seem to figure out the circumstances to when it will do this and why. I do a lot of compositing stuff so I may only care about how one small area of the frame is exposed. I can appreciate where the camera might think my settings are ridiculous and try to help me out but I need to find a way to override this so it uses the settings I want to use if I need it to and would like to understand why it’s doing this.

Thanks,

Sony a1 Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow