Lightroom Convert to DNG

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Friar Forum Member • Posts: 92
Lightroom Convert to DNG

After reading about some of the benefits of converting RAW files to DNG, I went ahead and converted my existing Fuji XTrans files as well as now converting files on import.

So far, so good. I then did some digging around and stumbled upon this...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4478827

That thread is 2 years old, so I thought it best to start a new one! In short, and if I understand it correctly, converting .raf files to .dng will perform a demosaicing process resulting in a file that cannot take advantage of future improvements in XTrans processing. This didn't sound right.

I then downloaded RawTherapee so that I could take a peak at the .dng files after conversion/import. What I found, when viewing without any demosaicing applied, is that the original XTrans matrix is preserved. In other words, the conversion/import only repackages the raw data and does not apply the demosaicing algorithm.

Does this sound right to you? Am I missing something? If correct, the case for converting to .dng is now stronger (for me).

Thanks,

John

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow