Canon iP-8750 and Easy PhotoPrint Software

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
J Peters Contributing Member • Posts: 709
Canon iP-8750 and Easy PhotoPrint Software

I recently asked a previous question which was triggered by a printing problem. The answer given helped but it turns out to be more complicated than first thought.

This is a printer and software combination I've been using for almost 10 years, and never noticed this issue before. I had taken a series of low-key, deliberately dark and gloomy shots, and the prints looked nothing like they did on screen - they were being rendered waaaay too bright. The issue in the end turned out to be twofold:

1. There is a setting in Canon Easy PhotoPrint for colour adjustment. By experimentation I found this overrides similar settings in the printer driver. By default, colour adjustment was set to Auto. I'd never felt the need to change this previously, but for these low-key shots I found that setting it to None or ICC Profile made pictures slightly less vibrant but much more akin to the on-screen version.
  2. The printer was running out of grey ink (I did check ink levels when this issue started, but there must have been just a tiny bit left at the time so it looked OK).

The questions I still have though are:

1. I can't see much difference at all between the None and the ICC Profile setting, but logically I feel I should be choosing the latter (I am aware that using an ICC Profile is likely to render colours more accurately). However in most software, if you choose a setting like this one, it will ask you to browse to a file containing the ICC profile data. This doesn't, it's a binary on/off setting, so what profile(s) is it using? Is it just applying an inbuilt profile assuming Canon ink and paper? If so, that's fine because I am (in truth I swap to a cheaper paper stock for non-critical prints, but then I'm happy to accept some colour variation).
  2. My dark gloomy shots now look correct in terms of brightness and general colour, but the darker areas still look poor. They are mostly background trees, so very dark greens fading to black. They look kind of mushy and parts of them are one solid colour - a bit like the effect of high jpeg compression where similar colours are banded together. Other shots all look fine, including some with large areas of black in them (eg shot of the Moon). Is it likely that these very dark greens are simply out of gamut? I can't think what else is going on.
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow