External LaCie Drive questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,865
External LaCie Drive questions

I have 2 LaCie external drives now, a 5 year old 4tb (with 2 mirrored drives in it), and a new LaCie (made by Seagate now) with a single 10tb drive.   As my large photo files kept increasing I outgrew the 4tb drive and bought the new 10tb drive.

At first it seemed that the motherboard would not recognize the new 10tb drive.  But what was happening was that the motherboard was giving me an error saying "high voltage and unplug the external drives".  So my local computer repair guy entered my computer remotely and determined that when both drives are plugged in (I hoped to still use the old drive for a partial backup) it caused that error message to pop up and the new drive would not be recognized until he did a reset of the USB circuits, I think.  He determined that the new LaCie drive worked fine unless the old one was also plugged in.  He said the old drive was faulty, although it works fine by itself, and not to use it anymore.  Note:  the old drive uses a USB 2.0 interface and the new drive uses a USB-typeC interface for what that is worth.

So why would the old drive work fine all by itself, but cause the motherboard error when plugged at the same time the new LaCie drive is in use?   Is it possible that external drives have a driver that might need to be updated?   Any other ideas?  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
Creating art is not enough; it needs to be shared. Sharing demands that you reveal who you are as an artist and how technically inclined you are. To share, you must be, on some level, vulnerable in front of your friends, family, and peers. There's no reward without risk. I suggest being vulnerable and taking that risk. - Jason Bradley

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow