The Poor Man's 608mm APSC Superzoom

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jackwelch Contributing Member • Posts: 731
The Poor Man's 608mm APSC Superzoom

For the longest time I've wanted an APSC but just could not cave in due to prices and then I saw this deal. $400 for an M3 and twin bundle lens (the 18-55 and 55-200mm) and with 1 year cannon warranty on the lenses. The M3 though is still under review for warranty registration and I hope it passes.

First thing out of the box I'm impress how small this M3 is. Pictures really don't do it justice, it's much smaller then expected. Slap one of those pancake lenses on it and I think you'll have something that rivals a Ricoh GR III in size.

I've had the G3X before this and I knew what to expect, performs exactly like the G3X and I believe it's just a slight faster than the G3X actually when it comes to autofocus.

There's some buttons that are quite hard to press though like the playback button I notice I really got to press it hard to get any response - but that's a small matter.

And at the longest end it's only 320mm FF equivalent which is really short for my liking.

I've contemplated getting a 70-300mm, 100-400mm or 150-600mm lens but this will undeniably set me back another $470-$1200 but for a hobby I just can't justify spending that much for the time being.

In comes the Olympus C-210 which I got for $10 and adds a 1.9x tele conversion lens to the whole set up. The combination works well and so does autofocus. Since the lens and TC both have a 52mm filter thread, there's no need of any step down/up rings.

I'll post some sample pictures later but for the time being here's the set up.

Canon EOS M3 Canon G3 X Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow