How much headroom for highlights in reality Z9 histogram?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RMcL Senior Member • Posts: 1,486
How much headroom for highlights in reality Z9 histogram?

May not relate to the Z9 in particular but rather to all Nikon Z and later DSLR models, but the in-build histogram appears to be quite a bit pessimistic in terms of indicating how much headroom there actually is for highlights. Same applies to the blinkies too. If I expose a shot relying solely on the in-built histogram and adjust exposure compensation to prevent right-hand-side spiking it appears the image is far too underexposed on export in post. I believe I have read earlier that there is typically at-least 1-stop of margin available in practice beyond the point where the Nikon histogram would have you believe you are starting to blow out highlights. What conclusions have you reached in your own experiences?

P.S. I have the color space set to Adobe RGB in camera as I believe that gives more accurate histogram, at-least in terms of the individual RGB channels. Not sure if it impacts the overall tonal histogram though?

RMcL's gear list:RMcL's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +10 more
Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow