Nikon's Z 24mm 1.8 - anybody have one who could help?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 902
Nikon's Z 24mm 1.8 - anybody have one who could help?

You will see by my images that I shoot 100% people (street, travel, events) and about 50% of all my images are taken up close and in people's faces.  Traditionally I have used my X-T3 and 16mm 1.4 (24mm equivalent) for this, and the images are usually fine.  However, after shooting lots with my Z6ii and the 50mm Z 1.8, I can see a real difference in the images taken on the FF Nikon.  It only gets more obvious if I have to shoot the Fuji in high ISO (over 1000), and if areas are underexposed and I have to pull them up, then the image turns to custard - the Nikon holds together.

I'm doing another shoot soon of shearers and the images are always dark in the shearing shed so I have to shoot high ISO.  Because it's usually cramped, I need to shoot mostly on my 24mm equivalent.  I tried to hire the Z 24mm here in Australia, but no luck yet.  As that lens is almost $1,700 in Auss, it is a lot of money for me to fork out if I'm not sure of this lens.  My question is, can I shoot in really close to the person (almost fill the frame with face and shoulders), and get the background blurry, so I have subject isolation?  Even though my Fuji is crop-sensor, being 1.4 I can nicely blur the background.  That's the one thing I need to know before I fork out for this lens.  Finally - is it a sharp lens wide open, I mostly just shoot my 24mm wide open (I do zero sceneries, landscape etc).

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Sutto's gear list:Sutto's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24mm F1.8 S Nikon Nikkor Z 24-120mm F4 S
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow