Moving on from Sony a6000

Started Aug 14, 2022 | Discussions thread
NorCal Jim
NorCal Jim Senior Member • Posts: 1,045
Re: Moving on from Sony a6000

tjohnston505 wrote:

Thanks Jim! Oss shouldn't be a problem since I mostly shoot landscape with a tripod. Now a quick question about primes. I know they have a fixed focal length. Aperture is adjustable right? Do the sigma lenses have a aperture ring or do you adjust them digitally on the camera like the kit lense?

Quickclicks supplied your answer concerning aperture.  You probably already know that the lower numbers correspond to wider apertures (f/2.8 is wider than the narrower F8).  In my film days (Nikon F series SLRs), I learned to value fast primes (wide aperture, fixed focal length lenses).  Those lenses used aperture rings for adjustment.  My film sensitivity  (ASA in those days) was selected on the camera as was the speed setting.

These days, I use two crop sensor formats (Sony APS-C and Micro Four Thirds).  My priority for lens acquisitions has been fast, fixed focal length (prime) lenses with further priority (when practical) given to smaller lenses.  Thus, for Micro Four Thirds, I purchased the older Pen Primes (12mm f/2, 17mm f/1.8, 25mm f/1.8, 45mm f/1.8 and 75mm f/1.8).  As time passed, faster lenses became available (f/1.2) in a larger form factor.  I have passed on those lenses due to price, size and the fact that I was happy with my lenses.  MFT has allowed me to indulge my preference for small, fast lenses.

For Sony APS-C, I snatched up the 20mm f/2.8 pancake lens, which I have used for mainly for video.  The 16-50mm kit lens has a very poor reputation but I really like its collapsed size.  There is also sample variation as I had acquired three due to camera purchases and kept the best one.  It is a pretty decent lens for video and not bad stopped down for photos (at least my best copy has been).  The 35mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8 were at the outer end of my size preference when I purchased them (although I have relaxed quite a bit in that regard).  The 35mm is a really good fit for video and I found it very useful for photos.

I have grown in my appreciation for zoom lenses over the years, preferring constant aperture zooms when practical.  I love my excellent copy of the Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 lens!  It was risky for me to repurchase this lens due to sample variation and QA issues, so I can't recommend it.  However, the newer lenses mentioned above have a higher level of quality and if I was starting over with my purchases might start with one of the suggested zoom lenses instead of multiple primes.  I would still probably purchase the 16mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4 Sigma primes.

Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow