Upcoming hiking triip -- can't decide: AFP 70-300 FF or Tamron 100-400

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,698
Upcoming hiking triip -- can't decide: AFP 70-300 FF or Tamron 100-400

Going to be doing a hiking trip in the coming weeks and can't quite decide if I want to take a Tamron 100-400 or the AFP 70-300 FF lens instead.  Will be used on a Z camera with the FTZ actually so the impact of the FTZ is immaterial since it will be required regardless of which lens I choose to take with me.

Not really doing any birding, but probably other wildlife like bison, bears, wolves, etc (going to Canada).  I know that 100mm on the long end can be a lot, but not sure if I want to deal with the extra weight and size, as I have to fit this into a backpack wit ha few other lenses and a camera body.

I will be shooting on my Z7 II so I can use crop-mode if needed....

Thoughts on which one would be better for the task? (The purpose of trip is more landscape and travel, and not specifically wildlife, but i just want to be prepared I guess.)

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow