Backup drive formatting vs write speed

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Swimming and Baseball Dad Junior Member • Posts: 35
Backup drive formatting vs write speed

So I use a PC and rarely might need to move something large to Mac. I had a 1TB backup drive but it was filling fast after I got my D500. I got a new 5TB drive (WD Passport). It’s using a USB3 port (haven’t tried on USB-C because both ports are used). It came formatted NTFS and i moved about 9GB of photos (5-40MB each) at about 100MB/s from my CFExpress reader (USB-C).

I reformatted to exFAT to test, and figured out the smallest allocation size Windows would do was 512KB, with a default of 4096KB (4MB!). Same transfer as before was only 60-65 MB/s, nearly identical to my 1TB drive (also exFAT), but it did use less CPU % during the transfer (around 10% vs 20% for NTFS). 
I had never done a comparison with my old drive, but I’ll keep that one for any Mac/PC transfers. I didn’t realize how big of a difference there was in write speed performance. I had read that exFAT had “better” performance in external USB drives, but I honestly can’t agree with that.

Swimming and Baseball Dad's gear list:Swimming and Baseball Dad's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +1 more
Nikon D50 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow