AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6E - What do you think would provide the best image quality?

Started Aug 15, 2022 | Discussions thread
rscott900ss
OP rscott900ss Regular Member • Posts: 496
Thanks, Craig

Thanks very much, Craig.

I was curious as to whether or not a higher mp sensor would be kinder or crueler to a lens that's not quite the best.  I rarely print anything, and especially anything large, so most of the IQ stuff is just theory to me; things I've read but haven't proven for myself.

From looking at lens tests, I see that lenses score lower on lower mp cameras but, seemingly paradoxically, reviews often mention that a not-quite-great lens will produce images that look fine with older, lower mp cameras while they might not do so well on newer, high-mp models.

So I guess that's only because you can zoom in further to pixel peep on the larger mp images and IQ would appear similar at similar image sizes, up to a point?

Anyway, I'm really pretty happy with my AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6E and its images made with my D750.  Last night's first try with it mounted on my D500 was satisfying as well.  It sounds like I have nothing to fear using it on my new Z 7II.  

rscott900ss's gear list:rscott900ss's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow