I hate 39mm filters

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 8,256
I hate 39mm filters

Hi,

I went for a brief hike in the rain yesterday in the local park.  It was a spur of the moment decision.  It's midwinter and it's been very drab and rainy, and the only benefit apart from  exercise was that some small waterfalls were running.

I had the 27WR with me, fitted with a Fuji clear filter, the little domed hood and its clip-over cap.  When I got to a viewing platform, a steel structure with a steel mesh floor, I made a mental (and sadly prophetic) note that the floor would probably pass anything about 39mm across through the mesh and into the gorge below.  I wanted to switch to an ND filter and, needless to say, - you got it - I fumbled it, and it went straight through the floor.  The last I saw of my filter, hood and cap was plunging into blackberry thicket, a fatal drop below....  Not cheap to replace.

No more 39mm filters.  Every other 'Fujicron' I own sports an appropriate step-up ring and they all take 52mm filters, hoods and other accessories so that they can all take interchangeable filters and caps.  I guess I'll have to make another step-up ring with an extra spacer like I did for my 60mm.  At least the 27mm will then also have the same thread....

Seriously, why 39mm filters?  Please Fuji, no more....  They're fiddly, camera shops don't keep them in stock because they're rarely needed, and there are several  types of filter that nobody makes in 39mm at all.....  Time to consign 39mm to history.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T4 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow