Filter recommendations for Fujinon GF lenses?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Painter19 Contributing Member • Posts: 630
Re: Filter recommendations for Fujinon GF lenses?

JimKasson wrote:

Painter19 wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

Painter19 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Painter19 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

The knurling on the Breakthrough filters is also a cut above that on others. It's much easier to get leverage on the Breakthrough filters.

No problem using them with Fujinon gf lens hoods?

None that I've noticed.

In comparing the Breakthrough and Zeiss T* UV protective lenses, one difference in their respective transmission curves caught my eye. The Zeiss T* seems to abruptly cut off light below about 405 nm whereas the Breakthrough (depending on how the part of the curve not shown actually is) UV protective lens looks like it may transmit light down to 350 nm,

Zeiss T* Protective Lens

Breakthrough UV2 Protective Lens

or so. These are screenshots of graphs from the their respective websites . I’ll try to include them here. Don’t know if this would have a discernible effect on photos?

If it did matter, it should only matter for film. Digital cameras have a UV+IR cut filter over the sensor, meaning all the UV that the manufacturer decided needed to be blocked is already being blocked. This is why B+W sells a “clear” protective filter in addition to UV. Doesn’t make much difference either way.

I’m suspecting it doesn’t matter, but am still wondering. I’m wondering more about loss from excessive lower bandwidth filtration . For example if Fujifilm or other camera manufacturer begins their UV sensor filtration at 200 or 250nm could something be lost in the photos by excluding the 200/250nm - 405nm light? I have no idea just a novice wondering. Of course if the camera sensor filtration already blocks that part of the spectrum it couldn’t matter. When i get a chance I’ll try and find out where the in-camera UV filtration begins for the 50s II.

GF lenses on GFX sensors have very little response at wavelengths shorter than 380 nm.

Great, so from the graphs provided the Breakthrough UV2 would only be adding the 380-405nm part of the spectrum as opposed to the Zeiss T* . Probably imperceptible in photos?

Painter19's gear list:Painter19's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony RX10 IV
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow