Looking for some insight on the high cost of 35mm film

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Samotivad New Member • Posts: 17
Looking for some insight on the high cost of 35mm film

I recently got into film photography again and am really enjoying it. The price isn't too much of a barrier seeing as I'm only doing it occasionally for fun. I'd probably do it a lot more if prices were a bit lower though.

The last time I did film photography was in 2008 and back then, prices were considerably lower (I remember finding films for around €3 - 6 a roll). Since then, I only worked in digital and paid no attention to what was going on with film prices, so what I'm looking for is some knowledge into what has gone on.

I've read some things about Covid causing supply problems, so is that why I'm seeing €20+ a roll sometimes? Or was it already getting that expensive beforehand? What I'm really asking I guess is whether you think the price of film will go down a bit. I'm not expecting prices to return to what they were back in 2008 but if the high prices are the result of supply problems, I'm hoping that means that prices go down a bit when manufacturers catch up.

Samotivad's gear list:Samotivad's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow