Tamron has taken a page from Sigma and perfected it

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
Tamron has taken a page from Sigma and perfected it

Somewhere around 2013 - forgive me for remembering the exact year - Sigma turned the opinion of third party lenses upside down with the introduction of extremely high quality Art primes at a reasonable price. I forget if the 35/1.4 or 50/1.4 was the first one, but Sigma got so good (the 135, 85, 14, etc) that when a Sigma Art lens came out you expected it to be amazing, it was every bit as good as the DSLR lenses Canon and Nikon were turning out at the time at half the price. For a few years if Sigma put something out, you expected it to be class leading.

Fast forward to today, and Sigma is still putting out quality lenses, but everyone has caught up, so they no longer stand out - and no longer appear to easily beat the competition (maybe the 65/2 being the exception).

However, with the 2.8 zoom range (17-28, 28-75 and 70-180) the Tamron has taken that space - and improved on it with out of the ordinary quality zooms like the 35-150 and the 28-200 (and perhaps now the 50-400). I am looking at the 50-400  - which should not be that good with that extensive a focal length - and wondering if it will be good enough to sell my 100-400 because we just don't expect Tamron to put out duds.

Impressive stuff.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow