D5200 upgrade: new Z5 vs. used Z7

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iFLAME New Member • Posts: 24
D5200 upgrade: new Z5 vs. used Z7

Hi all, I'm posting here after a long time and in need of some urgent suggestion/advice.

I've been using a Nikon D5200 with Nikon AF-S 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR kit as my main camera since 2013/14 which itself was an upgrade from a Fujifilm bridge. It's been a fantastic tool for me and that sensor (IIRC Toshiba sourced) has served me well enough and still does. I'm a tech blogger/writer (PC hardware) and photography enthusiast. I mostly shoot landscape, nature and macro but from time to time I also cover conventions, expos, product launches etc. as a part of my job.

Lately I've been thinking of an upgrade and all the roads seem to lead to mirror-less cameras. My primary concern is image quality and I find the Z5 to be very attractive and of great value. I intend to pair it with fantastic Z 24-120 F/4 which is the sole reason why I'm not considering any DSLR, my apprehension about using an EVF not withstanding. I don't see myself buying anymore lenses except the 50mm F/1.8 and the 70-200 F/4 if Nikon ever feels like releasing one!

Z5's slow low-light AF might become an issue when I'm shooting in dimly lit venues out of professional obligations. It may help that my subjects aren't particularly fast-moving and I take more pics of notebooks/motherboards/gfxcards than people anyway. What I'm more concerned with is the resolution or the lack thereof! With the Z5 I'll have the same 24mpx as with my 8 year-old cropped sensor and it kinda bugs me. From my personal experience I've learnt that for cropping, having extra detail, down-sampling or pixel-peeping (in that order) having higher res never hurts with of course other factors like DR and noise level remaining comparable. And this brings me to the following question.

should I go for a used Z7 instead? I always liked that D850 sensor and I've found one reasonably priced Z7 in FB marketplace but with a shutter count of 64.5K. Is that too high a count for future reliability? When it comes to refurbished or used cameras, there aren't many options where I live, specially for high-end mirrorless ones.

Whatever route may I take, I intend to stick with it for the next 5/6 years. So, what should I do? Any suggestion or feedback is more than appreciated. Regards.

iFLAME's gear list:iFLAME's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon D5200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wpt
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow