RF24-105mm vs RF24-240mm sharpness

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kees Timmer Regular Member • Posts: 103
RF24-105mm vs RF24-240mm sharpness

I own both lenses. The RF24-240mm is considered as a budget lens while the RF24-105mm is a true L lens. So I was curious about the difference in sharpness between both lenses. I used the “book shelf” target for testing. I tested different focal lengths and f-stops using the R5. Since sharpness of modern lenses is so good that you have to enlarge the image up to 200% or even 300% to see any difference.

In my initial tests it appeared that the edge sharpness of the RF24-240mm was slightly better at 300% than that of the RF24-105mm while center sharpness was the same. I found that hard to believe so I repeated the tests multiple times to exclude possible user errors (I will not bother you with boring test images): same results. You might argue that slight differences in edge sharpness observed at 300% are not relevant but still I found this a remarkable outcome: a non-L lens performing better than an L lens.

So what is going on? Do I have a very good copy of the RF24-240mm or a bad copy of the RF24-105mm or do you have the same experience? Would the RF24-70mm or even the RF28-70 a better lens than the RF24-105mm with respect to edge sharpness? The RF70-200mm which I also tested blows the RF24-105mm out of the water at f=100mm with regard to edge sharpness.

So it looks like the RF24-240mm is a better walk-around lens than the RF24-105mm. It is more versatile and has a better IQ.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow