Wider angle bird and wildlife shots becoming more popular ???

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fishchris
Fishchris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,059
Wider angle bird and wildlife shots becoming more popular ???

This is a weird one for me. I can't help but think of the phrase, "I meant to do that" ! lol

Here's the thing, for as long as I've shot birds and wildlife, I've struggled to get that creature up close enough for fantastic detail... And allow people to see that creature closer than they almost ever would in real life.

Now, I totally understand that in some scenes / outdoor places, the environment can be a big part of the story. Then one should probably consider how blurred they really want the background to be as well.

But IMPO, its just a lot easier to shoot wider, and not have to try so hard to get close to the subject. Or should I say, to me it feels like an anti-challenge.

I always shoot with a 150-600mm zoom lens, and in crop mode, so it usually stays pegged at 960mm, and then, if I'm lucky, I won't feel like it needs much more cropping. For me, the challenge would be, to remember I can actually back WAAY out, to show a lot more of the environment... and some people might love such a shot ?

I think for myself, I will always want to see that creature up close, in my face to begin with. Then, if I think I've done as well as I can with that, I might try to take a much wider shot as a, "Oh btw, it was in a really beautiful area too" kind of shot.

Your thoughts ?

-- hide signature --

Photos are my paintings. The camera is my brush.
Website
www.LightInEveryCorner.com
DPreview gallery; http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5075216809
No time or attention given for negativity or trolls.

Fishchris's gear list:Fishchris's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow