Focusing AI and AI-S lenses on my Nikon D800

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Janer_2
Janer_2 Regular Member • Posts: 366
Focusing AI and AI-S lenses on my Nikon D800

I suppose this could have been called manual focus lenses in general, not just Nikon AI or AI-S, however most of my MF lenses ar Nikon.

I've thoroughly enjoyed using my AI 50mm 1.4 outdoors as a portrait lens and not had any issues using it really. That is, until I tried it for some light landscape stuff. I noticed that the focus dot on my screen came up even though the object wasn't in focus. I did several attempts and tried moving the focus point to a larger piece of the object, but it always ended up with a sharper focus on the background scenery.

I tried adjusting the focus ever so slightly to bring out the object I was aiming for and got it reasonably sharp in the end, but is this a common issue for old MF lenses? Close up, within few meters, it seems just fine. I've only noticed it for objects/subjects further away.

I know I could use live view and tripods, but being on the go with kids/family and quite often photographing said family - I'm relying quite a bit on the viewfinder. Again, works well within shorter distanced, but this issue has me a bit worried about taking MF lenses on trips/walks as I cannot trust the focus dot.
Example photo:

The treeline behind the floating dock was in focus when I was aiming for the floating dock through the viewfinder - This image was captured by adjusting focus slightly closer / away from the focus dot.

Janer_2's gear list:Janer_2's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +50 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow