Batteries swelling!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 7,454
Batteries swelling!

I report this as it may be of interest to some:

I have all my m43 cameras since 2009 and up until now have never had any problems with aftermarket batteries for these.cameras: G1, GX7, Gx8, Em1-Mk2. (And a Sony rx100 MK1)

They have always held charge and provided as much power as original batteries, however recently I have noticed something strange...

After getting the Em1-Mk2 except for gx8 I rarely used the others and after a few years their batteries went flat.

After recharging them about a year ago I noticed the aftermarket rx100 battery had swollen a lot and would no longer fit (it was at least 9 yes old). The genuine Panasonic hasn't swollen - yet.

A year later one of the aftermarket GX7 batteries is refusing to charge, but at £7 for 8 years use that's okay.

And last night I went to pop a 4 year old aftermarket battery which I had let go completely flat into the gx8 and noticed the fit was now a bit snugger than it used to be, but has charged fully, so I am wondering whether to bin that one also, even though it still works!

I haven't checked all my em1-mk2 batteries yet, but boy have they had a hammering over the last 5 years!

No genuine batteries have swollen yet!

Note. In use I don't favour any battery when I go shooting, I just grab any out of the drawer.

I draw the conclusion that aftermarket batteries are really good, as long as you don't leave them flat for very long periods of time, in fact maybe I shouldn't ever leave any li-on go flat?

What are other people's findings and routine?

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
jxh
jxh
jxh
jxh
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow