Which Nvidia GPU series do I need?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ReedW Contributing Member • Posts: 960
Which Nvidia GPU series do I need?

Read a lot of GPU-related threads here and elsewhere, still not sure what makes the most sense for my needs...

My current Windows 10 PC is used for typical productivity apps as well as image editing (ON1 Photo Raw 2022 or Lightroom 6) and a little video editing (older version of Cyberlink Powerdirector). I don't have any interest in gaming. It was built 10 years ago and includes the following:

• Intel i7-3820 CPU
  • Asus P9X79 Pro MB
  • 32 GB RAM
  • GTX 960 GPU with 4 GB
  • Cooler Master HAF XM case
  • 27" 4K monitor

Ultimately I might like to add a 2nd monitor.

I'm relatively happy with the current performance, but faster would obviously be better. Unfortunately the system is starting to have some issues and I've decided to build a replacement.

I got what I thought was a good deal on an i7-11700K + Asus Z590-P WiFi MB bundle. I've bought or figured out what other components I need (Windows 11, 32 GB RAM, 650W 80+ Gold PSU, etc.) but haven't figured out which Nvidia GPU series to look at.

My initial thought was a GPU budget of around $200, but that doesn't seem to go very far, mostly 1650-series cards. From what I've read the 1660-series cards are a bit better for a bit more money.

It looks like 2060-series cards are a step up and not terribly more expensive, for example this one (which doesn't have any reviews so far on the Newegg site):

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-12g-p4-2261-kr/p/N82E16814487563

And then there are 3060-series cards which are significantly more expensive, given my original target budget.  I'd like to keep the overall system cost down, but I'm also hoping to get 5 to 10 years out of the new system.

Given my fairly modest needs, is a 1650- or 1660-series card good enough for what I do, or should I consider moving up to a 2060- or 3060-series card?

Also, any recommendations for reasonably-priced (say < $200) full tower case would be a bonus.  So far the Thermaltake Core X71 is in the running.  It's a shame the HAF XM is no longer available.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and recommendations.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow