I have to eat my words

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 3,924
I have to eat my words

I had been following a thread here that was touting the benefits and remarkable performance of the 12-100 f4 Pro lens. It was mainly being pitted against the sense of choosing a 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens, which I already had.

I kind of poo pooed the idea of having a 12-100 f4 Pro even though I was rather fond of having a similar offering when I had my R5 Canon FF camera, their RF24-240. I had appreciated the "walk around" nature of it's focal range and it was no real compromise in sharpness or overall performance. I doubted the Olympus being much the same even though it was one of the few offering the Sync IS.

That said I caved on shear curiosity that would leave, and got one delivered today. I went out and gave it a run in the neighborhood with shots I have tested my other (all 6 Pro lenses) Olympus/OM glass on. Well I was rather pleasantly surprised (more shocked) that it is sharp corner to corner with excellent contrast and the stability is pretty amazing. The build is as one would expect from the Pro models, solid no creaks or play and smooth to extend for focal length changes. So I have to confess I pre judged it wrong. I now have a new "walk around" friend that will likely keep the 12-40 f2.8 Pro in the bag a lot more than I'd have thought. Too bad on this first one you can't see what I see on screen. The dad gum compression on this site isn't revealing the true sharpness and detail that's actually in the shot. Oh well.

At 12mm wide open f4

At 100mm wide open f4

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
OM-1 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) +19 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow