Best camera system for scanning 35 mm film

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bastibe
bastibe Senior Member • Posts: 1,076
Best camera system for scanning 35 mm film

I am currently scanning my negatives with a Fuji X-T3 and the 60 f/2.4 lens. Its maximum magnification works out to slightly bigger than the image area on 35mm film, just enough to see the frame number and film name, but not enough to show all sprocket holes. I find this magnification just about perfect.

However, this only leaves about 17 MP for the image and doesn't quite resolve the grain as much as I'd like. I wonder if a camera with a pixel shift high resolution mode might produce more detailed scans. Pixel-shifting seems preferable to a generally higher resolution sensor for this application, as it should resolve colors slightly better, and be cheaper (right?).

Can you recommend a camera for scanning 35mm negatives that might do better than my X-T3? At the moment, film photography is not urgent enough for me to spend money on yet but I'd like to know my options.

bastibe's gear list:bastibe's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +3 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow