Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 6,585
Re: Fujifilm X-S10 vs Nikon Z5 print quality

FingerPainter wrote:

FuzzyDice wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

FingerPainter wrote:

JayPhizzt wrote:

Both camera bodies have almost the same resolution so there won't be any difference.

Why do people assume this? That's not the way resolution works. Assuming same lens sharpness (measured in line pairs per mm) , a 24MP FF sensor will produce images approaching 50% sharper than a 24MP APS-C sensor.

Because many of us have used both systems side by side and have found that to not be the case.

There are all sorts of reasons that your anecdotal observations are not proper findings of actual resolution differences.

I think I pretty clearly demonstrated in my earlier post above…

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66389319

…using real image comparisons shot in controlled conditions, that a 24MP FF sensor doesn’t always offer a significant resolution advantage over a 24MP APS-C sensor. In fact, probably due to most 24MP FF sensors still sporting AA filters, the filter-free APS-C sensor may actually have a bit of an advantage in some areas. I’m not disputing your science, but it’s just not panning out in the real world. I’ve shot with the Sony A7III and Nikon D750 alongside my Fujis, and while the FF sensors can have a genuine advantage in extreme DR and low light situations, in most situations the level of detail rendered is, to my eye, about a wash. If my eyes can’t see a significant difference at 100% view, I seriously doubt the OP is going to see one in a print either.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow